Skip to main content

Malcolm & Marie

This is NOT a love story.

If you had no idea what a toxic relationship is, this movie shows you exactly what it is.

Malcolm and Marie have just arrived from the premiere of a film that Malcolm had just made. Marie enters the house with an attitude so naturally you ask, "What did Malcolm do?". Turns out he did not thank Marie during his "thank you" speech. He thanks literally everyone but the person he claims to love. At this point, in my head I'm thinking "Oh hell no, hell fucking no". How can you forget to thank me, the love of your life? Anyhoo, things quickly escalate from there and there's a series of arguments where they both say really nasty shit to each other. The verbal abuse is so bad that I honestly don't know how they move on from the night.

John David Washington and Zendaya give beautiful performances. For John, the apple did not fall far from the tree. After watching him in Tenet, I didn't think he'd convincingly pull off a romantic movie. I was so wrong. There was a scene where he went on a rant for about 10mins and that had to be the most intense I felt during the film. It was so raw and effortless, I literally heaved a sigh of relief when he was done. Reminded me of the scene in Training Day that basically gave his father(Denzel Washington) the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.

Zendaya has proven herself with this movie just how much of a great actress she is. She's shown her maturity and ability to pull off any role with this movie and she's only 24. That scene where she pretends to have relapsed gave me chills. It's no surprise though as she won the Emmy Award for Best Actress in a Drama Series for her role in Euphoria where she played a junkie.

This movie takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions. One minute you think they're moving on, the next minute they're screaming at each other like lunatics. I don't know whether to call it love but there's a strong connection between both characters. They are at a point where they're past the "break-up" phase, which is why they don't think there's any reason to try to please the other person or make them feel special.

I totally enjoyed the movie. The monochromatic effect and cinematography was so beautiful to watch as it gave the movie its authenticity and rawness. The dialogue was intriguing; I had to pause to use the dictionary a few times. It will definitely be nominated for a lot of awards this year.

My take from this movie, let's just endeavor to thank our partners whenever we give a speech. 

I'll rate it 8 out of 10.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trial of the Chicago 7

I had been hesitant to see this film since it came out because I thought it was going to be one of those movies that was boring and typically portrayed black people as victims/slaves, because I'm honestly tired of all that but then someone convinced me otherwise and well it was so damn worth it. An historical legal drama, this movie takes us through the trial of activists;  Abbie Hoffman , Tom Hayden , Rennie Davis , Jerry Rubin , David Dellinger , Lee Weiner and John Froines , after the American government charged them with conspiracy to incite violence across state lines at the Democratic National Convention (DNC) in 1968. Originally called the Chicago 8 because Bobby Seale , the national leader of the Black Panther party was one of the defendants but was eventually given a mistrial during the trial.  In 1968, the DNC is about to take place in Chicago where the presidential candidate for the next election was going to be nominated. The President at the time, Lyndon B. Johnson h

Cruella

I was not exactly excited to see this movie as the last major film released by Disney ( Mulan ) ended in tears. Nevertheless, I went ahead to see it and I was not disappointed.  Set in the 70s, Cruella is a girl whose dreams of being a fashion designer come true after she redesigned a dress for the Baroness, one of the big names in the fashion industry at the time. She ends up working for her until she finds out that she's a narcissistic bitch who would do anything to remain in power. Kind of like the Nigerian government. This movie gave me The Devil wears Prada vibes, but less enjoyable. Cruella is based on the novel The Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith in which she steals dalmatian dogs in order to make fur coats with their skin. I think this is supposed to be a prequel of sorts as it tells of the origins of Cruella. The idea of trying to create a backstory as to why a villain turned out the way they did is honestly getting tiring. I'd be much happier knowing that

Wrath of Man

As a huge action movie fan, it is my responsibility to watch every blockbuster action film that gets released. Action and horror movies tend to keep me on the edge of my seat and that's a feeling I wouldn't pass up for anything. Guy Ritchie , the director is known for his great storytelling and we see this in some of his previous movies like Sherlock Holmes and The Man from UNCLE . Wrath of Man did not have a great story line, but like his other movies, he keeps you on the edge of your seat with the suspense, thrill and intensity. It had the typical Guy Ritchie signature: the timelines and the sound effect. Basically, Jason Statham plays a man who is trying to avenge the death of his son. That's literally it. Fun fact, Jason Statham made his acting debut in Guy Ritchie's film and they have gone on to collaborate 3 times after that, this being the fourth. I thought the movie was unnecessarily long. There were some scenes that I don't think deserved much detail. Mos